Top Africa stories: Ailing Zim VP Chiwenga ‘on special diet’, Kenya minister charged with corruption

Photo : independent.co.uk

 

Zimbabwe’s vice president Constantino Chiwenga is reportedly on “special diet”, with the presidential spokesperson George Charamba hinting that he is battling “serious ailment”.

According to New Zimbabwe.com, Charamba said that Chiwenga was on special diet, adding that he was developing stomach acids that were “very bad”.

Charamba said this, following Chiwenga’s return from South Africa where he received medical treatment.

Three Nigerian football officials have been charged with fraud after allegedly diverting $9.5m in FIFA grants for personal use, the country’s anti-corruption unit said on Thursday.

Christopher Andekin, Jafaru Fadanari Mamza and Rajan Zaka allegedly committed the crime in 2015, the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) said in a statement.

“The money was a grant given by the Federation of International Football Association, FIFA, for the development of football in Nigeria,” it added.

Zimbabwean President Emmerson Mnangagwa reportedly told more than 3 000 graduates last week to create their own jobs or “risk sinking into oblivion” as formal job opportunities  continued to shrink.

In an acceptance speech as the Great Zimbabwe University (GZU) second Chancellor at the institution’s graduation ceremony, Mnangagwa told the graduates to be job creators, reported the privately owned NewsDay.

“As you begin the next phase of life, seek to be creators of wealth and employment. Desire to be positive transformers of your families, communities and the nation at large,” Mnangagwa reportedly told the 3 916 graduates.

Zimbabwe’s MDC party has reportedly set a date for its 19th anniversary celebrations after they were cancelled last month due to a cholera outbreak that has killed more than 50 people in the southern African country.

According to Daily News, party spokesperson, Jacob Mafume, said the celebrations were slated for October 27 at Gwanzura stadium in Harare.

He said the MDC made the decision to go ahead with the planned event despite a police ban on public gatherings.

Former Kenyan sports minister Hassan Wario and two other officials were on Friday formally charged with corruption relating to the 2016 Rio Olympics on Friday.

Wario pleaded not guilty to six charges levelled against him of abuse of office and was released on a $10 000 bond.

However, Kipchoge Keino, a two-time Olympic gold medallist on the track and a former National Olympic Committee of Kenya (NOCK) chief, did not appear at the hearing in a Nairobi anti-corruption court.

Source :

news24.com

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


*


1 × 2 =

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.